Recently we have been working with quite a few of our clients on sourcing light fixtures and even sharing some of our own personal knowledge. We don't claim ourselves to be 'lighting designers', but our education did allow us to learn the basics and understanding of what it takes to achieve good lighting and why it's important. If budgets ever allow for a true lighting designer, we always support the idea of having another professional on board!
When discussing lighting solutions with our clients, we stress the idea of layering types of lighting. Different types of lighting create difference ambiances that are utilized for specific gatherings, a time of day, or a mood. As a classic example, no one would want overhead can lights beaming down on them while entertaining at a dinner party. It would feel much more appropriate and elegant having a dimmed chandelier and wall sconces creating a soft glow around guests, the tablescape, and courses being served. To help our readers out a bit, we have highlighted five rooms in stunning homes to show excellent examples of lighting design. Enjoy!
- Foyer: A unique and grand central chandelier in coordination with soft wall sconces makes for an elegant and charming visual upon entering this home. Note how the sconces break up the hallway and allow the chandelier to speak for itself.
- Living Room: This is a prime example of layering light sources. A combination of a ceiling mounted fixture, wall sconces flanking the fireplace artwork, table lamps, and a floor lamp make for a versatile room that could be used for many different occasions.
- Dining Room: An eclectic chandelier coordinates beautifully with the sconces flanking the artwork above the console table. Not only do these light fixtures make a statement on their own, but they compliment the furniture and architecture of the home very nicely.
- Kitchen: Although this kitchen is a unique shape and height, the designer made great used of lighting to elongate the space. Slim bubble pendants hang from the exterior of the room, while a central chandelier hangs over the center of the island for adequate lighting.
- Master Bedroom: A stunning lapiz chandelier is a focal point of this bedroom, while lovely table lamps and ceiling-mounted reading lights are meant to create a soft ambiance when reading in the evening. This neutral palette creates a relaxing and sophisticated environment.